Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A verse of encouragement

Let me hear in the morning of Your steadfast love, for in You I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to You I lift up my soul. (Psalm 143:8)

As some of you may know, I have recently been going through the "what in the world am I going to do with my life/major" phase. Up until now, I haven't ever wondered about my major (I knew it would always be English and then later Journalism) and haven't really bothered to think about specific career plans. I know many others that have struggled with these thoughts before, and now I'm right there with you---it is so difficult!

After a meeting with several advisers, I found out that I am NOT set to graduate on time; in fact, I need another semester here. Major bummer because scholarships won't cover that semester and I really don't want to graduate a semester late anyway. Over the past few weeks, I've been figuring out the logistics of summer school, taking extra hours, and trying to get some two-for-one deals as far as course credits go (pretty unsuccessful on that last one, but hey, I've tried!).

I sat down last night to plan my fall 2008 schedule, plan my summer school courses, and look into online/correspondence courses here at MSU. To my dismay, almost nothing I need is offered during the times I need. My plans have/will quickly change: summer school means one night class instead of my plan of two morning classes, correspondence means taking one of my major department requirements online next year (instead of taking an easy core requirement online), and fall 2008 means 18 hours (6 courses) when I'm already swamped with 16 hours this semester. YIKES.

I went to bed disappointed and frustrated because all I'll lack to graduate on time is 3 courses (9 hours). I planned to take care of all those this year (2 summer classes and one correspondence course during the fall added to my 15 normal hours during fall 2008).

During my devotion time this afternoon (part of the time, I'm reading through Psalms), I read Psalm 143. It's a psalm of David where he asks the Lord to hear his prayers. I immediately connected with David's plea and noticed one verse in particular:

Let me hear in the morning of Your steadfast love, for in You I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to You I lift up my soul. (Psalm 143:8)

These words were such an encouragement to me. I've asked God if it's His will for me to continue with two majors and I've asked Him to open the doors to the courses that I need to graduate on time. Despite my plans not going as I had hoped, I know His steadfast love and I do trust Him to provide what He wants for me, not what I want on my own. He is always faithful to direct me and listens to my cries for help.

Just thought this verse was particularly encouraging and so appropriate for how I've felt these past few weeks. Hope it blesses you and reminds you that God is always faithful to direct your path.

No comments: